This is part of my series about key facts about digital marketing & e-commerce in JP, China and South Korea. Articles before this post include:
- 8 key facts about China Digital Marketing Landscape (data from eMarketer)
- 8 key facts about mobile e-commerce in China (data from eMarketer)
- 8 key facts about Japan Digital Marketing Landscape
- 8 key facts about South Korea Digital Marketing Landscape
If you want to download the presentation version of this post, you could try this Google drive link.
1. Japan is the number fourth market in the world in terms of retail e-commerce sales (with China holding the number one spot)
As you could see, JP is behind China, the US, UK and ahead of Germany. Please note that the above sales revenue excludes travel and event tickets.
2. Japan is the number fifth market in the world in terms of digital travel sales, with the US being number one market and China being 2nd
3. JP has 76.9M digital buyers (69% of the total population) in 2015, second highest penetration globally, higher than the US (65%), Germany (66%) and China (36.6%), lower than the UK (75%)
4. Spend per digital buyer (including both retail e-commerce and digital travel sales) in JP is significantly lower than buyers in the US and China
5. Food/beverages/alcohol/books/CD/DVD are the top product categories purchased digitally by digital buyer in Japan in 2015
6. 80% of digital buyers in Japan bought on Amazon JP in 2015, following by Rakuten and Yahoo JP shopping
7. Compared to many other countries in APAC, JP internet users still heavily use desktop to research and purchase online vs. smartphone or tablet
8. While credit card is the leading payment method used for digital purchase in JP (53%), direct debit through internet/mobile banking ranks second at 14%
That’s it from me. Thank you very much for your time and any comments are welcome.