As per my previous post, I recently relocated to the US in late 2021. And I want to journal my experience through time. This post will be about what I am grateful for since I moved. I will update it regularly as new things come up.
1. Being in a new country forces me to learn new things
Moving to the US “forces” me to learn about new topics, which I would never learn otherwise. And while the initial learning phase is challenging, I am grateful about the experience.
For example, I find myself listening to the following podcasts:
- Investing mainly from an US perspective, mainly about US markets: Acquired, Aquired LP show
- Crypto: Modern Finance, Bankless, Proof.
- Different life hacks in the US: All the hacks. It is particularly helpful to learn about different credit card miles programs, or point programs for hotel and airlines.
My reasoning is that since I am in the US, I might learn about topics that were not of interest enough to me in the past.
2. The greater sense of freedom
My view may change over time but as of now, I feel a greater sense of freedom, living here in the US. It is a much larger country than any countries that I have lived in so there is a sense of more opportunities too (because the domestic market is much larger). I am sure the competition may be more intense (or someone will tell me that the system is rigged somehow), I will learn as I experience more.
For example, you can make real money being a content creator or writer in the US. It is very hard to do in Asia.
3. California has beautiful nature
“Duh, such an obvious observation”, you may say. Well, something has to be appreciated through experience and beautiful nature is one of those things. I am grateful that we currently live in California and the weather is very conducive for outdoor activities.
Spring flowers in sunny California
4. Certain type of food ingredients are fresher
Seafood, or certain type of vegetables are a lot fresher (and even cheaper) here in California. Vietnamese food and vegetables are a lot better in the US, in comparison to Singapore.
5. Wine, whiskey and beer are cheaper
This is in comparison to Singapore, not other countries. Alcoholic beverage in Singapore is very expensive.
6. The sky is blue without many clouds every day
Every day, as I sit down at my desk, there is a blue sky outside. Such a happy feeling 🙂
7. Lovely cherry blossom during spring
8. It’s beautiful to exercise outdoor
The weather is so nice that it “forces” you to exercise every day outdoor, even a quick walk or a light jog.
That’s all from me for now.