Given that there are many people who come to my blog via my post “8 key facts about South Korea digital marketing landscape” back in 2016, I feel compelled to update it so that you will have the latest information.
This post is part of the series about South Korea that I have been writing in 2019. You can find other posts here:
1. South Korea enjoys one of the highest mobile internet penetration in the world at 82% (vs China 56%, Japan 66%, the US 80%)
2. South Korean mostly spend time on digital devices and TV throughout the day at the expense of Print and Radio. Time on TV is surprisingly resilient over the years
3. Total ad spend per person in South Korea lags behind other major economies and the growth rate is expected to be slower between 2019 – 2022
4. Digital ad spend took the largest share of the total ad spend in 2018, followed by TV and out of home. The trend is favourable to digital spend with growth rate of more than 11%
5. Given the huge time spent on Mobile, it is not surprising that Mobile ad has the lion share (73% in 2018) of the total digital ad spend
6. Display ad continues to gain percentage share of digital ad spend against search and classified ads in South Korea
7. More than 2/3 of the South Korea population are mobile buyers
8. International digital platforms are not as dominant in South Korea as in other markets
Kakao Talk is the most popular messaging app in South Korea, reaching more than 2/3 of the internet population.
Naver TV ranks second in terms of Digital Video Platform used by viewers in South Korea
Popular B2C ecommerce platforms in South Korea are mostly local players
Leading Mobile Payment Apps in South Korea are all local players
Without a doubt, Naver and Daum are the strongest portals in South Korea
That’s from me.