1. With more than 460M+ users, internet penetration in India is relatively low and the growth potential is huge
2. More than 90% of internet users in India accessing the internet via mobile devices
3. Given that 70%+ of Indian population is under 40 years old, we expect the same ratio with India internet population
Indian internet population is more male skew and younger than the overall population, which makes sense given that mobile internet really took off only a few years back.
4. With the higher growth of non-English internet population, vernacular is not a surprising reality
The split between urban and rural India when it comes to frequency of internet usage is not significant
5. India GDP per capita on Purchasing power parity basis is half of that of China or Brazil and about 30% lower than Indonesia
This lower level of income has a logical impact on consumption (online or offline) in India versus other markets.
India GDP growth rate has cooled down, though still at a high level. According to Press Information Bureau, Q2 (Jul – Sep) 2018/2019 GDP growth rate was at 7.1%.
6. Overall India is still a TV market, with nearly 60% time with media spent on TV
In terms of growth in time spent, while digital is leading (at 11.5%), it’s not by much against TV (6.9%)
7. Similar to other countries, more than 50% of internet users in India watch digital video
However, if we look a bit deeper, only around 30% watch digital video using smartphones, which means a significant percentage of people are using feature phones or hybrid phone to watch video.
8. Proximity mobile payment penetration in India is on par with the rest of the world and actually higher than North America, the UK or Japan
9. Digital buyer/shopper penetration in India is understandably lower than developed countries and on par with developing ones
China is an outliner since it is still a developing countries but already transformed digitally to be similar or more advanced than developed countries.
10. Subscription OTT Video penetration in India is still low, which shows significant growth headroom
That’s all from me. Thanks,