It has been a while since my last post. Obviously there have been a lot of things happening since October 2007 with regards to Search Engine Marketing (SEM) industry and the Online Marketing World.
So much’s happened that i don’t know where to start. I guess, to start the ball rolling, let’s list down a few items that i think are good food for reading on a Sunday night:
- If you are totally new to Search Engine Marketing industry, you are looking for a change in your career path, want to explore SEM? You need to read the result from this salary survey done by SEMPO: Reality Check: In-House Search Marketing Pays Well
- If you intend to read between the lines from the above survey, you need to be really careful to understand the full context and findings of that survey. It’s for In-house SEM, not from agencies side, that’s the first thing to note…
- Now that i got your attention after reading the salary survey, if you want to learn about SEM, i recommend you start with Adwords Learning Center. Over the year, the Learning Center has changed very much. And now i must admit that everything you need to know about Pay Per Click (PPC), or Paid Search are there. The guys at Google have done an excellent job, they cover a wide range of topics with very clear explanation and example.
- Another part of SEM is Search Engine Optimization (SEO). To learn this and do it well, it’s really an art. You need to read and update yourself a lot. A few sources that i think contain very good information/update about SEO are:
- Matt Cutts: the guy who works at Google.
- Danny Sullivan: well, anything he writes is good but especially SEO
- A few other websites that you can’t miss if you want to learn about SEM:
- Recently, Tamar compiled a list of what he thinks are the best internet marketing blog posts in 2007 . I have a read through and find some articles are really good.
- Well, the truth is to survive in this industry, you need to read a lot and update yourself very frequently. The way i do that is quite simple, set up Google Alert and use Google Reader. Both of them are quite straightforward to use and extremely effective.
Well, it seems quite a lot for a newbie to SEM to digest in one evening. However, to those experienced professional, i understand that there could be nothing new to you in this post.
Bear with me this time, ok? This is just to start the ball rolling again after so long
Have a nice Sunday everyone,