I wrote this article back in 2011. Since then, Google discontinued Ad Planner and replaced it with Display Planner. And then the platform changed even more after that.
My educated guess is that you want to look for different options within the Google Ads platform, so check out this link. It is a basic guide to help you to find out the right campaign type for your market objectives. If this is not what you are looking for, leave your comment below and I will try to update the content of this page with the most suitable content.
I will keep the original content below, what I wrote back in 2011.
Google Ad planner aka DoubleClick Ad planner is a FREE tool that helps us to do media planning.
The idea behind Ad Planner is extremely powerful.
Just imagine if you are a Media Planner or a marketing executive who needs to create a media plan.
From a normal work flow, before creating a media plan, you would probably know your target audience well.
Target audience insights like:
- Age group
- Education level
- Language that they speak
- Other demographics information
What you need to do is to select a list of sites with suitable ad format that can help you to:
- Reach the right target audience
- Engage them with the right ad format to portray the creative idea
- Minimize audience overlapping to ensure cost effective
- Brand safe
- Conform with special regulations if any
- Make full use of the allocated budget
If you specify your target audience in terms of:
- Household income
- Education level
- Online activities like: sites that the target audience frequently visit or keywords that they use to search on Google
- Personal interest like cartoon or Live commedy
- Google analytics
- Google Toolbar especially if the user logs in. This can be a super powerful way of collecting all kind of information about a particular user.
- Google Talk. If user is using Google Talk and surf the internet, one may contemplate that information about their surfing behavior can be recorded and attached to their Google Talk account
- Browser cookie. This can be recorded surfing pattern, search pattern
- Other sources